Home The Builder 26 April 1902

The Builder Heritage Journal   | 26 April 1902

Professional and Business Announcements

Architect Practices

Refuse Destructor, Taunton

The foundation stone of a Horsfall refuse destructor, which is to be erected near the site of the sewage disposal works at Priory, Taunton, was laid on the 22nd inst. The total cost of the work is 5,250l., exclusive of the site. The contract has been secured by Mr. E. H. Page, A.M Inst.C.E., and it will be carried out under the supervision of Mr. F. L. Watson A.M.Inst.C E., secretary and general manager of the Horsfall Destructor Company, Leeds.

Temporary Scaffolding

Figure of temporary scaffolding practices, 1902

Occasionally there is work to do upon a ceiling for which it would be a heavy item in the job to erect the old-fashioned scaffolding, and therefore we call attention to Mr. Heathman's latest improvement illustrated herewith. These take all apart and close compactly as well as adjust at various heights, and the ladders and trestles can be used separately. A set supplied for reaching 50 ft. at the Hackney Empire Theatre and another for reaching 30 ft. at the Bow Vestry Hall have proved extremely useful, and Mr. Heathman is making a set for the Great Central Hotel at Maryledone.

Crystal Palace Engineering School

The "Wilson" premium for the best paper read before the Crystal Palace Engineering Society during the present session has been awarded by the Council to G. de Havilland for his paper on "Motor-Cars." Other papers read during the session were "Milling Machines" by H. M. Stephenson; "Ventilation," by G.R. de Peyrecave; "Modern Locomotive Practice," by E.S. Pink; and " Modern English Battleships," by C.S. Dowell.

The premium was presented to Mr. de Havilland by the Hon. Sir John Cockburn, K.C.M.G., late Agent-General for South Australia, on the occasion of the eighty-eighth distribution of certificates at the school on April 18.

The Flame Arc Lamp

On the invitation of the Union Electric Co,, of Queen Victoria-street, we had an opportunity last week of inspecting the "Flame Arc" lamp, which is said to have a very high efficiency compared to ordinary arc lamps. The special features of this lamp are the length of the arc, which is in the centre of a miniature reverberatory furnace formed by a fire-clay reflector, and the quality of the carbons used, which are cored with certain salts. The light given out by the lamp is of a pleasant yellowish-white quality, and the general illumination produced very satisfactory.

On merely reading the claims put forward for this lamp we were inclined to think that its efficiency was exaggerated. With ordinary arc lamps, the harder the carbons the higher the temperature of the ends, and hence the better the illumination. Cored carbons are not only more expensive, but they are also less efficient than solid carbons. In this lamp, however, the loss due to the cores is apparently made up by the increased temperature maintained by the reflector, which gets coated with a brilliant white powder formed by the burning of special carbons, and hence always maintains its efficiency. Also, the small diameter of the carbons used, and the great length of the arc, prevents the lower carbon intercepting much of the light emitted from the top carbon.

It seems to us that this lamp is a distinct novelty; it has many of the advantages of an enclosed arc without the necessity of two globes, and the consequent loss by absorption, and in addition the quality of the light emitted is much pleasanter.

Stourhead, Wiltshire

The fire that broke out on April 16 at this mansion, the seat at Stourton of Sir Henry Hoare, Baronet, consumed the main block, with nearly all of the valuable collection of sculpture, though fortunately most of the other works of art, and the pictures, gathered mainly by the second baronet, have been saved.

The central portion of the house was built in 1722-23, after designs in the Italian style by Colin Campbell (see his "Vitruvius Britannicus," Vol. iii.), near the site of Stourton Castle, for Henry Hoare, of Fleet-street, the goldsmith and banker, who, 1720, had bought that estate from Thomas, thirteenth Baron Stourton, whose ancestors had been settled there from the time, it is said, of the Norman Conquest.

For Sir Henry Hoare (odiit 1841) Charles Parker added the two wings, and the tetrastyle portico with engaged Composite columns and pediment to the south and principal front; the latter addition completed Colin Campbell's original design for the main building. In Six Wells Valley, in the park, stands the old "St. Peter's Pump," cr Well of St. Edith, removed thither from St. Petet's-street, Bristol, in 1765, by Sir Richard Hoare, the first baronet. Seven years ago Sir Henry Hoare caused to be restored, under Mr. C. E. Ponting's superintendence, and re-erected in the grounds, the old Bristol High Cross, built in 1373. The Cross was removed in 1733 to College Green, Bristol, where it remained until in 176; it was pulled to pieces; in 1768 the stones were given to Sir Henry Hoare by the Dean of Bristol.

Incorporated Church Building Society

This Society held its usual monthly meeting on the 17th inst., at the Society's house, Decan's-yard, Westminster, the Rev. Canon C. F. Norman in the chair.

Grants of money were made in aid of the following objects, viz., building new churches at Landore. St. Paul, near Morriston, Glamorgan, 300l.; and Rock Ferry St. Barnabas near, Birkenhead, 125l.; and towards enlarging or otherwise improving the accommodation in the churches at Fishponds St Mary near Bristol, 40l.; Greethan, All Saints, near Horncastle Lines, 35l.; Landwater Parish Church, near High Wycombe, 50l., Souton, St. Thomas a Becket, Near Bridgestowe, Devon, 10l.; and Ponder's End, St. Matthew, Middlesex, 50l., in lieu of a former grant of 20l.

The following grants were also paid for works completed: —Wold Newton, All Saints, near Hunmanby, Yorks Upper Gravenhurst, St. Gilet, near Ampthill, Beds. 2

HASLEMERE BUILDERS, LTD.

The new building works of the "Haslemere Luilders, Ltd." which have been erected on the site of the old works which were destroyed by fire in December last, were formally opened on Saturday afternoon last in the presence of a large company. This firm ci builders and contractors has for the last ten years been carried on by Mr. Herbert Hutchinson partially as a profit-sharing concern, but at the commencement of the present year The Haslemere Builders, Ltd.," was started to acquire and carry on the business on entirely co-partnership lines, Mr. Hutchinson allowing his capital to remain in the society as shares and loan stock until it is replaced by shares or loans from the employees or others. The work- men themselves have invested about voo/. in the new society, and they have elected two representa- tives on the committee of management. Ten per cent. of the annual profits of the firm is to be de- voted to the provident and education funds, and of the remainder, one-third is for the holders of the capital sunk in the business, one-third for the employees and one-third ior management. No member of the Society must hold more than 2« 14. shares.

The new works comprise offices, clerks and private reception-rooms, cashier's-box, and show-room, and, upstairs, the committee-room, a large joiners' shop (to accommodate fifty workmen at one time), large drving sheds (to hold tity standard of deal), plumbers' and painters' shops, "messroom," and various storehouses. There is also the machine-room containing nearly all new machinery (supplied by Messrs. Kirchner & Co., of London). The Rev. G. B. Stallworthy, of Hind- head, gave an address at the opening ceremony, in the course of which he insisted upon good work being done, and characterised it a crime to build a house badly. Mrs. Herbert Hutchinson (wife of the Founder and President of the Society) then formally declared the works open, wishing the undertaking every success, and set the new machinery in motion.

In the evening there was a public meeting, at which Mr. Anewin Williams (President of the Labour Association) gave an address upon co-partnership principles, alluding to the hold that the co-operative movement had obtained in the country. Mr. G. H Clapshaw, one of the foremen, then spoke a few words expressing the appreciation of the men for what Mr. Hutchinson had done for them, and on their behalf asked bis acceptance of an illuminated address which they had subscribed together to obtain. Mr. W. Houghton is manager of the frm, and Mr. F. W. Com secretary. The works and registered office are in Station-road, Haslemere, and the brickworks at Shothermill.

LAND REVENUES OF THE CROWN

The Report for the twelve months ended March 31, 1902, of the Commissioners of his Majesty's Woods, Forests, and Land Revenues, which has just been issued, sets forth that a sum of 173.700l. was expended in the purchase of two Crown leases and some free hold properties in London, and a sum of 190,170l. has been paid in purchasing the Tintern and Raglan estates from the Duke of Beaufort. The total annual rental (arrears included) arising from Crown properties amounts to 498,899l., an increase of 16,959l., as compared with the total for the preceding period.

Government Offices, London

Two votes in the Civil Service Estimates for 1902-03 provide for the allocation of a sum of 5,000l. in respect of alterations, the supply of new furniture, and cost of removal at the rooms which are now occupied by the Exchequer and Audit Department, in favour of the Inland Revenue Department, Somerset House and of a sum of 4,400l. for fitting up new offices the Victoria Embankment for the Audit Office.

It appears, then, that the authorities have relinquished their original project of transferring the Audit Office staff to the quarters now occupied by the Privy Council Office and the Board of Education, at Whitehall, when the latter remove into the buildings being erected on the Parliament and King streets site.

City of London Directory

We have received from Messrs. W. H. & Lo Collingridge (City Press Office) the City of London Directory for 1902, being the thirty-second annual editicen. It is a large and handsomely got-up volume, containing al! the information that such a directory can give in regard to cfiicial lists, schools, trades, &c. The streets section has been revised, and the whole of the occu- piers whose names appear therein have been can- vatsed; while the alphabetical list contains the name, address, and trade or profession of every person, and, as far as can be ascertained, of cach individual member of firms in the City of London. The trades guide is classified under the various trades or professions, and coatains many new head ings. The section relating to the public building of the City contains details as to the history ar structure of the bridges, and the better known of th City churches; and a brief account of some of th halls of the livery companies. The street improve- ments of the vear are indicated in a large colcured map, and include the alterations in Finsbury-pave ment, London-wall, St. Mary-axe, and other streets in the City. It would however be an improvement if, in the "General Contents" list, the number of the page for each section were added.

Atmosphere of the Houses of Parliament

In the House of Commons on the 18th inst., Dr Farquharson asked the First Commissioner of Works whether he could inform the House of the result of the recent examination of its air; and whether he would apply the same scientific test to the atmosphere of other public buildings, such as the Central Criminal Court and the British Museum Library. Mr. Akers-Douglas : The tests of the air in this Chamber show a very good result as regards the amount of carbonic acid, which was only 52 volumes in 10,000, very little in excess of the quantity usually met with in the air of cities, and tar less than what is generally present in places of assembly. The bacteriological test revealed an undue number of micro-organisms, but none of them are found to be disease-producing. The {ull reports by Dr. Thorpe, the principal cf the Govern ment laboratory, will be laid before the Select Com- mittee on the Ventilation of the House; and I propose that further experiments sball be mace in order to discover the cause of the presence of So many microbes, with a view to taking suitable measures of improvement. I will consider the hon, member's suggestion as to other Government buildings, but the Central Criminal Court is not ia any way under my control.

Houses for the Working Classes, Whitley, Yorkshire

An inquiry was held at the board School, Grange Moor, Huddersheld, recent; Major C. E. Norton, R.E., an inspector under the Local Government Board, into an application by the Whitley Upper Urban District Council tur sanction to borrow 1.2404 for the erection of houses for the working classes, under part 3 of the Housing of the Working Classes Act, 1590 Mr. Greaves who appeared for the District Council, sud U population was 764. During the past filty years only ten houses had been erected, so that it would be seen that the majority were very old. There was atotal number of cottages of 117, and out of that number there were seven with no bedroom accommodation whatever; in fifty-one there was only one bedroom; fifty five with only two bedrooms, some of which were only partitioned; and four with three bed- roome, That being the class of houses provided for the working clatees, it followed as a matter of course that a large family had to seek accommodation elsewhere. Mr, Joseph Berry, architect, of Hudderstield, said that he prepared plans for six houses on a piece of land belonging to the Council situated at Denby- road, Grange Moor. The houses would contain : Oa the ground floor, living room, 1¢ ft. by 12 ft. by » ft.; parlour, rt ft. oh in. by 12 ft. by oft. On chamber floor, three bedrooms—one 15 ft. by 12 ft, ome 8 ft. yh ia, by 12 ft., and one & ft. 3 in. by 5 ft, all oft. high. In the basement, a keeping cellar, to ft. Gin. by 7 ft; and coal place, 4 ft. by 7 ft. The houses would be built of stone, lined with brick, and covered with blue slates. The usual outbuild- ings would be provided at the back, including one pnvy for each house. The estimated cost was 1.2401, made up as follows: Buildings, 1,050.; walls, outbuildirgs, and dramage, too/.; and archi- tect's commission, legal expenses, and incidentals, , In his opinion the houses, when completed, should vield a rental of 4a a week. Mr. C. B. Young, the Chairman of the Council, in reply to the laspector as to why the Council only intended building six cottages, said the venture was only in the nature of an experiment. Witness also read letters making applications for tenancy of the houses when ready. Ia his opinion they would vield a rent of 73. 6d, each net. Other evidence having been given for and against the scheme, the inquiry closed.

THE INCORPORATED ASSOCIATION OF MUNICIPAL AND COUNTY ENGINEERS

The thirty-seventh voluntary pass examination of candidates for surveyorships under Corporations and District Councils carried out under the auspices of this Association, was held at the Medical Examinatioa Hall, Victoria Embankment, on Friday and Saturday, April 18 and 19. Twenty-eight candidates presented them- selves for examination. The examiners were :—!. E-agineering.— Mr, A. E. Collins, M.Inst C E., assisted by Mr. J. P. Barber, M.Inst.C.E. 2, Building Con- struction —Mr. A. M Fowler, M Iost.C E.. assisted by Mr. T. H. Yabbicom, Miast.CE. 43. Sanitary Science.—Mr. James Lemon, M.Inst.C.E., assisted by Mr. W. N, Blair, M.Inst.C.E. 4. Municipal Law —Mr. Jos. Lobley, M.Inst.C E., assisted by Mr. J. T. Eayrs, M.Inst.C.E. Mr, Lobley was the superin- tending examiner.

Refuse Destructor, etc., Nottingham

At the Guildhall, Nottingham, on the 18th inst., an inquiry on behalt of the Local Government Board was held by Mr. J. C. Pottinger, M-Inst.C E., into the application by the Nuttingham City Council to borrow two sums of money—r!0,c0o/. for the erection of a refuse destructor, stables, and cart- shed at the Kadford depot, which adjoins the Not- tingham Canal, and 5,400/. for the purposes of the improvement of Lower Parliament-street. Mr, Arthur Brown (city engineer), Mr. T. Wallace Gordon (assistant city engineer), Mr. C. G. Keep ({Mesers. Manlove, Alliott, & Co. Ltd.), were present among others.

GREAT FIRE IN THE BARBICAN, CITY

A disastrous fire, which resulted in enormous loss of property, occurred in the Barbican on Monday night. The tire broke out in the premises of Mr. F. ] Eliot, fancy bat manufacturer, Nos. 10, 11. 12, 13, and 14, Barbican. According to the official report issued by Commander Wells this building, of five floors, about oo ft. by 30 ft, used as work-room:, showrooms, offices, and stores, with its contents, was burnt out, and had fallen down. Many other buildings were als> practically burnt out or damaged. Owing to the heavy premiums demanded by the insurance companies for houses in this part of the City, where so many great fires have occurred in recent years, many ot the buildings destroyed, and their contents, were uninsured.

Capital and Labour

THE PENRHYN QUCARRY

We are informed that during the past tw) months seventy men have been taken on, a3 against rorty-eight in the two previous months, and the work of development is progress- ing very rapidly, whiist there is a steady increase ia the output of siates and slabs. The workmen (now numbering 843) are working so energetically that the quarrymens average wage for the last tw months reached the highest on record—vwiz., 6s. od. per day for month ended March 18, and Ga, x7 yd. per day for month ended April 1s. The number of ‘contracts let in the quarry is also increasing, and thus bad rock and rubbish is rapidly and economi- cally being cleared on piecework wages, enabling industrious labourers, of good physique, to earn high wages—in fact, in some cases, as much as 53, and upwards per day.

Aberdeen Masons

A meeting of the Aberdeen Building Branch of the United Operative Masons and Granite Cutters' Union was held on the 15th inst. in the Trades Hail, Belmont-street—Mr. G. Ogg, President, in the chair—to consider the question of ceasing work at noon on Saturdays, and thereby reducing the working hours on that day to five. By a majority the meeting decided to adhere to the existing arrangement. At present, during the winter months, the Building Branch work only five hours on Saturdays. The resolution which was defeated applied, therefore, to the Saturdays from May to October, inclusive.

«  previous ☖ contents next  »

More Architecture news…

News from leading UK Architectual Societies - 26 April 1902

News from UK
Architectual Societies

Illustrated design for The Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation

The Ocean Accident
Guarantee Corporation

Promoting the art of weaving in English education

Promoting the
art of weaving

wanderer-cycles

Wonderer Cycles
have no superiors

About this article

This article is a heritage reprint from the title publication. It is the intent of this website to present this article in human and machine readable form. Format and content changes have been made. This article is provided for the purpose of entertainment only. Statements in this article were relevant to the published period and may not be applicable in current times.

Note: This page is flagged for further OCR review.