Art Schools and Exhibitions—October 1902
The article is from a vintage magazine called The House, published in October 1902. It is about the art schools and exhibitions that were happening in the United Kingdom. The article reflects the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement, which was an aesthetic movement that aimed to revive the quality and beauty of handmade crafts in contrast to the mass-produced and cheap products of the Industrial Revolution. These arts and crafts exhibitions discussed works and events that showcased the skills and creativity of the artists and craftsmen of the movement. The article is a valuable source of information for anyone interested in the history and development of the Arts and Crafts movement and its impact on design and culture.
We take a look at this month's invitations and exhibitions to the world of arts and crafts. Papular arts and crafts activities include water colour paintings, embossed leather, wood-carving, and exhibitions. Many of the exhibitions discussed in September 1902 are still open for applications.
Last month, we gave the full exhibition details for the Bristol and Clifton Arts and Crafts Society held from October 23rd to November 1st, 1902. Exhibitions will be shown at the Galleries of the FineArts Academy, Bristol.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society
The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society will hold their next display in the New Gallery, beginning in the first week of January 1903. The exhibition will be on the lines of previous ones, but only artists and craftsmen of the United Kingdom will be allowed to show. For reasons of space it necessary to exclude foreign exhibitors. Work will be received for selection by the committee during three days of the last week of December 1902, to be arranged subsequently.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Bath Crafts Display
The small waste-paper basket sketched was exhibited this year at the Bath Display. It is made of embossed leather and has a writing-case to go with it. The fittings are copper, and the work was executed by Miss James, of St. Erme, Widcombe Hill, Bath
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The Church of Perivale Arts
The Church of Perivale, near Ealing, is one of the most interesting in the suburbs. It is said to have been built in 1150, and a list of rectors is in existence dating from the year 1330. Its rector, Dr. Hughes, has made great efforts for the improvement and beautification of the church. Among recent additions is to be included the handsome monumental brass, called the Perivale Memorial. It was given to the church, and will be placed in the west wall in an oak frame. This interesting memorial contains 580 letters and four yards of straight tracing. The artist is Mr. F. T. A. Ulett, whose work is wellknown in connection with ecclesiastical metalcraft of all kinds.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The Hornsey School of Art
The illustration which appears below is from a piece of work executed by Miss Paterson of the Hornsey School of Art. It was carved for the East Budleigh Church in South Devon. The woodwork in this church is Elizabethan, and is said to have been carried out under the direction of Sir Walter Raleigh, who was born at the neighbouring mansion of Hayes, Barton.
The coat arms is that of Stapleton, a member of which family was lately rector of the parish. The ship symbol is taken from an ancient frieze, and represents the Church triumphing over the storms of this world and the saving of souls by water. The work has given great satisfaction at East Budleigh, and does great credit to Miss Paterson’s skill.
It may interest readers of The House magazine to know that the classes of the school are held on Friday and Saturday. The next term begins on 8th October. Mr. I. J. Perrin, Technical Instructor under several of the County Councils and a carver of great skill, is the director of the wood-carving department of the school.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The Carlisle Arts and Crafts Exhibition
On 2nd September, the Bishop of Carlisle opened the Sixth Annual Exhibition promoted by the Cumberland and Westmoreland Society of Arts and Crafts. This was proudly announced by us in last month's column. The total number of exhibits were 550, as compared with 360 last year. Needlework and woodwork have especially progressed, and the former is present in five times the quantity it was last year. The K.S.I.A. sent metal work; Kirkby Lonsdale, leather work; carved and inlay furniture, as well as pottery, came from other centres. The Bishop, in opening the exhibition, delivered some interesting remarks on the true value of ornament, and deprecated the use of it when it lessened the practical worth of a piece. Lord Carlisle also spoke, and congratulated the society heartily on the advancement it had made.
The water colour paintings were very numerous, the most noticeable being a picture of the Church of the Salute at Venice, and a drawing of Petergate, York. The former by Mr. Jackson; the latter by Mr. Edward Ardern. Photography was represented by work of Mrs. Scott-Nicholson’s and Mr. L. A. Beaty. The principal wood-carving, of which there was a fine display, was done by the pupils of Mr. K T. Craft. The Penrith class also exhibited. Among the needlework, the G.F.S. Cockermouth, Egremont and the Beckermet classes were all represented. Among those present were, in addition to the Bishop, the Earl of Carlisle, Sir John Dunne, Canon Phillips, Canon Bower, the Rev. W. Blake, Dr. and Mrs. Barnes, Mr. and Mrs. Scott-Nicholson, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Steeie, Mr. and Mrs. W. Hudson Scott, Mr, Crowder, sen., Mr. Crowder, jun.. Mr. M Carrick, Mr. G. White, Mr. W. F. Bell, Mr W. Seott, Mr. Martindale, Mr. W. N. Donald. Mr, James Beaty, and Mr. Ernest Beaty, the Hon. Secretary to whose energetic work the sucess of the Exhibition was largely due.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Exhibit at Glasgow
Yearly since its institution there has been held, in the Green Branch Museum (People's Palace), Glasgow, an annual exhibition devoted to the illustration of some special branch of artistic activity. This exhibition scheme has also embraced a competitive section, in which prizes, etc., have been awarded for works of the class embraced in the exhibition. For the winter season 1902-03 it has oeen determined by the Museum and Galleries Committee of the Corporation, to bring together a collection of art work in metal. The exhibition section will embrace works, both ancient and recent, in gold and silver, brass, bronze, steel and iron, pewter, and other mixed metals, with illustrations of such ornamental processes as damascening, chasing, engraving, and enamelling on metals. In the competition division awards will be made under the following heads:
(1) Repoussé ornamentation on silver, copper brass, or other metal. The objects sent in competition may be in the form of panels, plaques, salvers, vases, cups, cases, covers, sconces, etc.
(2) Engraving and chasing, separately or combined, applied to vessels and domestic articles executed in gold, silver, brass, steel, or other metal.
(3) Ornamental wrought iron in the form of gates, grilles, panels, brackets, lamps, or other useful domestic articles.
The exhibition will be held in the Glasgow Green Branch Museum. It will be opened about 19th December 1902, and will continue for a period of not less than three months.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Hamilton Arts and Crafts Association
This Association recently paid a visit to the new district offices in Beckford Street. Permission being granted by the District Committee of the County Council through Mr. J.B. Ferguson. The buildings, which are on the point of completion, were erected to the designs of Mr. Alex. Cullen, F.R.I.B.A. Mr. Lockhead, the president o the association, conducted the party over the building. The most striking features are the central hall, artistically decorated, which gives convenient access to each department; the main staircase, in stone with a fine modelled plaster frieze, and the committee room, a magnificent apartment. The ventilating, heating, and lighting arrangements were carefully inspected, and were admitted by the experts to be all that could be desired. Votes of thanks terminated a most pleasant evening.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Arts and Crafts at Exeter
Lady Audrey Buller distributed the prizes at the exhibition held by the University Extension Guild at the Royal Albert Memorial College. Her ladyship said she was extremely interested in all decorative work, which was the art that tended most to make everyday life beautiful. She had enjoyed the hour she had spent there that morning very much indeed. The work she was most interested in was the Canterbury weavers. Ruskin had described agriculture as the art of kings, and weaving the art of queens.
Great praise was due to the noble Christian women who had revived this art, a satisfactory feature about which was that it gave employment to many delicate women and children. Referring to the benefit of the University Extension Guild in Exeter. Lady Audrey paid a tribute to Miss Montgomery, who had been a benefactress to the city in many ways.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The Wood Carving Studio, Chelsea
The Wood Carving Studio, Chelsea, will re-open in the beginning of October, under the direction of Miss Blackburn. The address is The Pheasantry, King’s Road.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Exhibition at Ipswich
In the Fine Art Gallery, on 8th September, commenced an interesting display of kindergarten, hand-and-eye training, and manual training work, executed by scholars in the different schools controlled by the Ipswich School Board. This is not intended to show the best work by the best scholars staged merely for exhibition purposes; it is a genuine example of everyday work done in the schools and the centre.
[Re-Editor's note] It sounds like the Fine Art Gallery in Ipswich, England was hosting an exhibition in September of 1902 that showcased the work of students who were being trained in hand-eye coordination and manual skills through a method now know as kindergarten. This style of teaching was popularized by Friedrich Fröbel, a German educator who believed that children should be exposed to a variety of activities that would help them develop physically, emotionally, and intellectually. The exhibition was a representation of the everyday work done in the schools and was intended to be informative and educational for the visitors.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The article from The House magazine, published in October 1902, discusses the art schools and exhibitions happening in the UK at that time. It reflects the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement and its aim to revive handmade crafts. The article highlights several exhibitions, including the Bristol and Clifton Arts and Crafts Society, The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society, Bath Crafts Display, and The Carlisle Arts and Crafts Exhibition. It also features the work of individual artists, such as Miss James, who made an embossed leather wastepaper basket, and Miss Paterson, who carved a coat of arms for East Budleigh Church. The article includes information on the Hornsey School of Art and the classes held there. The article provides valuable insight into the Arts and Crafts movement's impact on design and culture in the UK in the early 1900s.